Mother’s Day Brunch Recipe Fit For A Queen On A Diet
Us MOMS deserve to be treated specially on Mother’s Day, and celebrating does not have to result in diet sabotage. Here is a recipe that is easy on mom if she’s the cook, and simple enough for her significant other and/or older kids to prepare if they are giving her the morning off!
1/4th of recipe (3 egg cups): 150 calories, 4g total fat (2g sat fat), 744mg sodium, 5.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 21.5g protein
(adapted from Hungry Girl)
Prep: 15 minutes.
Cook: 20 minutes
- 12 slices (about 8 oz.) 97% fat-free sliced ham or turkey
- 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms or spinach
- 1 1/4 cups (about 10 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese or part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
Place each ham slice in a cup of the muffin pan, and press it into the bottom and sides, slightly overlapping to form a cup.
Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add bell pepper/mushrooms/spinach and/or onion. Cook and stir until mostly softened, about 4 minutes.
Transfer veggies to a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to mix.
Evenly distribute mixture among the ham cups. Bake until firm and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS